Saturday, April 29, 2006

Taking the Plunge

Years ago (in Chicago?) my sister bought me the best French press coffeepot ever.

I never use it, because it's so pretty to look at. And frankly, because making plunge pot coffee is so much more of a pain in the neck than using the drip coffeemaker. Or, if I'm honest, going to Starbucks.

Well, no more.

After soaking a year's accumulated NYC windowsill grime off of the device, I have decided to press it into service on this rather chilly April morning.

(A picture of it all in all its readiness to the right.)

The reason this is a pain is that it's actually a bit like cooking, in the sense that suddenly you're measuring and pouring and mixing and timing. It's all very involved. I mean, I love cooking, but not before morning coffee. Anyway, after finding out exactly how to do this on the Internet (thanks Internet!) I measured the coffee into the warmed pot (1 scoop per cup) added two cups (more or less) of near-boiling water, put the lid on and waited 4 minutes. At the end of 4 minutes....plunge! And pour.



The verdict? A few grounds, but seriously one of the most sublimely wonderful cups of coffee I've had in a long time. Rich and thick, with a nice texture to it. Not to strong, and not bitter or acid at all.

Kitty French Press Pot, welcome (back) to the family!!!!

No comments: